Friday, October 21, 2016

A Halloween Mystery


One of these things is not like the other.  Store bought on the right.

Was sold ¨Butternut Squash¨ seedlings.  Apparently not.

At first I thought I´d been stupid to plant them next to the zucchini/courgettes, since it´s been (mumble, mumble) years since high school biology.  But, after consulting Mr. Google, turns out the fault lies with either the seller, or the grower last year who let two squashes cross and then used the seed.

But what to do with them...

4 comments:

  1. It´s still sitting on the counter. I don´t even know if it´s ripe yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coco,

    Oh my! Butternut pumpkins are very tasty. I can't quite shake the feeling that the one on the right is a cucumber. Yup, seed saving can be an exciting business. This sort of thing happens to me too so you are in good company! :-)!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I cut it open and it´s orange and squash like on the inside. I see lots of squash soup in our future since there are 4 or 5 more in the garden.

    ReplyDelete