The season is definitely changing - the spiders and field mice are heading indoors. But I´ve been outside working on something resembling a veg patch. It´s still very much in the development stage, but practical before pretty.
Hugelbed in front (could it have something to do with the mice?). The next section is lasagna-style with cardboard over the grass. Now, I´ve realized more than pasture grass, it´s really mostly weeds like nettle, mint, blackberry, and rushes. Probably going to have to redo later. And it needs more soil.
In next section, I took off the weedy ground cover. There is a thick layer of thatch with most of the weed runners that can be rolled back on itself like a carpet with a lot of work and leverage. Then lasagna layers. I suspect I´ll have to redo this one as well because of what I discovered digging the following section.
The last 2 raised beds had the weedy layer removed and then I dug down 18 inches. About 10 inches down there is a layer of stone ranging from the size of my head to gravel. It´s like there´s a Roman road under there. Underneath that it turns to heavy clay. So even if the lasagna works as advertised on the other sections, I´m not sure roots will ever penetrate that stony layer. Anyway, it got the remains of the stinky anaerobic compost I had left in a plastic bin, and a bunch of dry grass the neighbors let me have, then cardboard and dirt. It will be interesting to see how each section performs.
So for now I´ll be doing battle with weeds and the invading arachnid and rodent hordes.