Monday, April 4, 2011

Raxo

Used to be that V only wanted pulpo when we went to Galicia. ¨Pulpo a feira¨ is boiled octopus and boiled potatoes, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with hot paprika and coarse salt. It´s a staple, and oddly enough, I think it tends to be better served inland than on the coast.

Now, I have tried on several occasions to make pulpo and failed every. single. time. This was expensive. Fortunately, MIL makes excellent pulpo so V has a local supply.

Lately, in La Coruña, V has discovered Raxo (pronounced RAH-sho)or chunks of pork loin sauteed with garlic and parsley, served piled over french fries. Sometimes they add roasted red peppers, of which I heartily approve.

I´m pleased to say that I have finally gotten the hang of raxo. The secret is the marinade.

So without further ado:

Cut pork loin into bite-sized pieces. I´d say about 6 oz. per serving. I have also used pork chops, removing the bone.

Marinate in 1 C dry white wine, 1/2 cup olive oil, with 1 garlic clove chopped small (we use more)and 1 tsp chopped parsley per serving. Mix and let stand for about an hour. I have marinated for longer than this, but don´t leave it too long or the wine will affect the texture of the pork.


Remove the pork from the marinade draining most of the liquid, but retaining the garlic, and sautee in a hot pan, adding the roasted red peppers just before the pork is browned and done and add salt and pepper to taste. I deglaze the pan with another 1/4 C white wine or so at the end. Serve hot over a pile of crispy french fries.

I think you could vary this in interesting ways - adding lime and exchanging cilantro for the parsley, or using sun dried tomatoes instead of the red peppers with fresh basil. But then in wouldn´t be raxo and V would be sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment