Friday, April 29, 2016

Rose Report

 The Prince

While I´m digging beds, I thought I´d give an update on the bare root rose order from Tuincentrum Lottum that arrived earlier this year.  I find helpmefind.com/roses/ helpful for pictures and descriptions of roses if you´d like further information.

All have leafed out and seem to be settling in. I think the cool, wet spring helped.  We´ll see if the warmer sunnier weather brings up the stragglers.

The winner is The Prince with the first bud.  Can´t wait to see it open.  Followed closely by 2 Don Juans who will be climbing the wall.

Don Juan

Sharing a bed with DJ and the Prince are Sweet Blondie and Ilsa Krohn, who looks a little peaked, so I´ve been giving her coffee grounds and eggshell.

Sweet Blondie

Ilsa Krohn

In the bed along the fence are 2 Munstead Wood bushes, on either side of the camelia, who are lagging a little, which is odd because it´s supposed to be quite a vigorous shrub.  We´ll see.



In the pot ghetto are Falstaff, Darcy Bussell and Polar Star.  They´ll find places in the landscape, eventually.


Sharifa Asma, my favorite, is also doing well.  I hacked back the encroaching grass and weeds that have invaded all of my carefully constructed raised beds from last year.  Sigh.  Starting over digging again.  I need yoga for gardeners.

Sharifa Asma

5 comments:

  1. We have just planted our first rose. I don't know the name though because it was in French, as were the instructions. Not to worry, it seems to have settled in, and hopes yours continue to thrive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! They can be divas. And it takes about 3 years for them to really take off. We´ll see how the foliage does with our changeable weather. But these should all smell good and look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All our roses did very well in Galicia,I also have Munstead Wood and Darcey Bussell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coco,

    The roses are looking lovely. It will also be great to see them all in full bloom as they grow. I hope they have some lovely scents too.

    Cheers

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spring foliage is always so glossy and pretty and new. We´ll see how they hold up. More buds appearing with the last few warm sunny days.

    Trying to get the potatoes and onions in before it starts raining again. I have severe tractor envy.

    ReplyDelete