Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Codillo Asado


Source


Made a roast pork shank over the weekend. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics, so you´ll have to make do with some from the internets - it really did look like this.

You can prepare them using a pressure cooker, but ours won´t hold a seal. For oven roasting - standard procedure seems to be simmering in water for a half an hour or so with bay leaves and black peppercorns - then transferring to the oven with a sprinkling of salt, pepper and thyme. Roast at 180 C for 45 minutes, add a cup of wine and continue roasting for another 45 minutes. You want to turn the shank several times.

I bought one big one instead of 2 small ones, thinking there would be more meat and less bone. I find it´s better to cover the joint completely with water while simmering or they can be noticeably salty when served - not inedible by any means, but a bit salty.

Instead of red wine, I used white - because I was roasting potatoes in the pan and I didn´t want purple potatoes. The potatos were excellent.


source


Then I used up the last of my split peas in a soup using the bone and the left over vegetables. I don´t believe I´ve seen split peas over here - anyone know if they´re hard to grow?

1 comment:

  1. Aren't split peas simply peas that've been dried and split? The green ones at least? Peas grow well...Mercadona sell the thinner yellow ones often used in Indian cooking.

    ReplyDelete